Monday, January 17, 2011

Project 5: Not Quite Straight Scarf

Paul asked for a new scarf, and so on January 1 I got out the yarn I'd set aside for his next scarf and got to work.

Then I got to work again...

and again....

ripped it out again.....

it's tricky, this scarf, when you're just getting going and have the pattern pdf on the phone and you're trying to figure out just where it's going. But after a while it clicked and the scarf and I took off.

IMG_5544

It's a wonderful pattern. Don't bother trying to slip the first stitch of every row, because it gets wacky. But the pattern is just interesting enough that you don't collapse of boredom, and just boring enough that tv or child-chasing or throwing it down and picking it up becomes a problem. Once I realized that it's just
knit
knit
purl
knit
knit
purl

or alternatively

knit purl knit
knit purl knit

I could remember what was coming next and it became intuitive, and a lovely scarf for my husband to boot!

IMG_5399

IMG_5451

Pattern: Not Quite Straight Scarf by Nicole Hindes (free Rav download)

Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca Silk in color 140 Blueberry, 401.5 yards

Needles: size 7/3.5mm Knit Picks Options nickel-plated

Yardage: 401.5 yards


Mods: I made the scarf a little wider by increasing a bit more before doing the straight (biased) section.

No comments:

Post a Comment