Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chili Cook-Off: Week 3

Well after last week's experience trying to fake chili powder, I had to restock the spice cabinet before making this week's chili. Not only does this chili call for chili powder; it calls for a quarter cup of chili powder. Hold on to your hats!

Ingredients

1lb ground elk or beef
1 can of tomato juice (46 oz)
1 can of tomato sauce (29 oz)
1 can of kidney beans (15 oz)
1 can of black beans (15 oz)
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup chili powder

Directions
Brown meat in a deep pot, i use my noodle pot. While the meat is browning i rinse the cans of beans. Once it is brown you can add the tomato sauce and juice and then i add the seasoning. After it is all mixed together you can add the beans. I found that the seasonings mix together easier if you add the beans last. Let it come to a boil and then put on simmer until supper. The longer it simmers the thicker the sauce will become. So it all depends on when you remember to start it. I like to simmer it for at least 1 hour. Goes good with corn bread or saltine crackers and we add cheese to it.


Modifications:
I used two cups of black beans prepared from dry beans and frozen. Due to other plans, we put this chili together and put it in the crock pot for the day. Our plans ran late and I wound up trying a cup when we got home. The next day I transferred the chili onto the stove to simmer for a while before dinner.


Cost:

grass-fed ground beef from CSA = $5.00
tomato juice = $2.12
tomato sauce = $1.25
kidney beans = $0.99
black beans = $0.50
chili powder = $1.50

Ordinarily I would not include spices, but since there is so much chili powder I think the cost becomes relevant.

I have the other spices and sugar on hand.

Total = $11.36
6 Servings
$1.89 per serving

Verdict:

I was skeptical of the amount of liquid called for in this recipe. This, coupled with the crock pot, turned out to really go rather badly. When I tried a cup the first night, it was very liquidy and tasted like only chili powder. Once this spent some time simmering on the stove the next day, however, it was fantastic. It only improved with shredded cheddar cheese on top and cornbread muffins. So, basically, if I had followed the directions I would have known it was great to begin with. This chili seems flexible enough to be good as suggested, or on hot dogs or nachos. I'll definitely try this one again, and although (surprisingly!) the chili powder didn't seem as strong on the second day I might decrease the amount next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment