Friday, February 12, 2010

Chili Cook-Off: Week 4

I apologize for the delay!

To finish out the chili cook-off series, here is the recipe from the final week of January. This one surprised me once I looked it over closely and I realized that there are no tomato products!


INGREDIENTS
*2 tablespoons EVOO
*2 cups cubed cooked chicken
*2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) white beans, drained and rinsed
(I like to use one can of Navy Beans and one can of Great Northern Beans
*1 cup chicken broth
*1 can (4 1/2 ounces) chopped green chiles
*1/4-1/2 of a small onion, diced
*1 teaspoon ground cumin
*1/2 teaspoon oregano
*1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
*1 can of corn, drained (or 1/2-1 10 oz. bag of frozen corn)

DIRECTIONS

1. Pour EVOO in large soup pot, heat and then add chicken. Cook chicken until browned.

2. Place remaining ingredients in soup; mix well. Bring to boil on medium-high heat.

2. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered 15 to 20 minutes until heated through.



Modifications:
This one was very straightforward and no modifications were made. Shocking, I know!


Cost:
chicken = $2.50
navy beans = $0.79
great northern beans = $0.89
chicken broth = $0.58
chopped green chilis = $0.99
corn (frozen, partial bag) = $0.75

Olive oil, spices, and onion are on hand.

Total $6.50
6 servings
$1.08 per serving

Verdict:
Even though I don't even like tomatoes, I missed them in this chili. In fact, it almost seemed like more of a soup without the liquid inherent in a soup. However, the taste was very good and it improved over the week as I slowly ate it all for lunches. I really enjoyed the addition of the chopped green chilis and was surprised by the navy and great northern beans - I didn't think that I would like them, but they were just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment