Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chili Cook-Off: Week 1

Some online friends are having a virtual chili cook-off in which we all make the same chili dish during a particular week and at the end of January we can declare a winner. There are four recipes for four weeks, and we're in week 1. I'll post the recipe, my modifications, approximate cost and what we thought of each chili. So, here goes!

Week 1 Recipe:

Caribbean Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 lb ground turkey
1 tsp bottled minced garlic
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) whole sweet potatoes rinsed, drained and diced
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth/stock
1 cup mango nectar (Kerns or Goya brand)
1 packet MILD chili seasoning mix (McCormick)
1/2 tsp ground allspice
chopped fresh cilantro (optional, I never use this)

Heat oil in skillet. Add turkey and garlic, stir until brown. Add broth, beans, potatoes, tomatoes, seasoning packet, nectar, and allspice. Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes. Serve into bowls, top with fresh cilantro, if desired. Makes 4 servings.

Modifications: I used fresh garlic, two cups of black beans prepared from dry beans, and two small fresh sweet potatos

Cost:
ground turkey = $2.81
black beans = $0.50
sweet potato = $1.00 @ $0.88/lb
petite diced tomatoes = $0.79
(organic) chicken broth = $1.00
mango nectar = $1.49
McCormick Mild Chili Seasoning = $1.49

Olive oil, garlic, and allspice are on hand.

Total = $9.08
4 Servings
$2.27 per serving

Verdict:
We LOVED it. I let it simmer a little longer than indicated in the recipe, maybe 20 minutes. I don't even like tomatoes and I ate them. I ate everything in my bowl and went back for more. It's got a slightly sweet flavor, but certainly not overbearingly so. My husband suggested adding a mild curry paste next time; I think it would be great with a smokier flavor like from chipotle peppers. It was very good as I made it too.

In the future, I will skip the spice packet and season it myself. I don't have any complaints, but I'll never remember to buy the packet and I have all the spices around already. The mango nectar comes in a 12oz can and the recipe only calls for 1 cup, so I will probably freeze the extra 4 oz of mango nectar to combine with the leftovers from the next time I make this for a 3rd round of chili out of two cans.

Yum. What a surprise!

1 comment:

  1. You make it sound good and I don't like (picky pain in the ass) most of the ingredients. I wonder if Matt would like it. The kids, eh, probably not although if I tell them it's an exotic meat like ostrich maybe they'll go for it. So far they've been more likely to eat "goat", "camel", and "possum" vs. pork and beef. *eye roll* KIDS.

    ReplyDelete