Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Project 14: South Sea Mermaid Socks

These socks are finally finished and they are just lovely!

IMG_6061

IMG_6068

Close-up of the lace, twisted stitch ribbing at the top, and the picot bind-off.

IMG_6074


The socks are toe-up, and I quite like this heel's construction.

IMG_6075

Yarn: Alina Shea Creations Crescent Moon (100% superwash merino wool, a sproingy 2-ply), in a Dreamer's Little Secrets colorway called South Seas

Pattern: Mermaidia, a free toe-up sock pattern written for magic loop

Needles: Knit Picks nickle-plated size 1 (2.25mm) 40" circular needle

288 yards

Rav page

Mods: I only did seven repeats of the lace on the leg so that I could still get the socks on!

I learned an important lesson with these socks and my 111 in 2011 challenge - don't count the project until it is DONE done, not just pretty much done.  The socks were cast off and the yarn clipped and I put them aside to work on other things for a bit.  When I got back to the socks, the yarn tail had been cut about half an inch from the last stitch, leaving not enough of a tail to weave in and secure the top of the sock!  I guess it had to be the kids.  So, I had to rip back the entire picot bind-off and half a round of ribbing to then bind-off again to have enough of a yarn tail to finish.  All this while amassing a pile of projects behind me which now will need to be posted in an avalanche.... ah, oh well, lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment