The hat that Paul wore that was so envied was crocheted about five years ago. It looks it.
Five years ago is well before Ravelry, even, so I knew it was a long shot but I flipped through my pattern printouts from that era just in case I still had it. No luck there. I searched Ravelry and stumbled across what I vaguely recall was possibly the pattern I used. But I'd altered it to begin with and have since also gained some skills, mostly the ability to count, and my initial attempts at following the pattern again were frustrating. In the end, I came up with my own pattern from scratch. I'm sure there are a bajillion crochet beanie hat patterns out there (Ravelry says 1,020, 376 of which are free) but this one is mine.
Then I switched blue yarn, then tried doubling the blue yarn, then switched the orange yarn to a sport weight and tripled it while doubling the light worsted blue yarn... and in the end, I had a hat, my very own pattern, and a great stashbuster clocking in at 259.6 yards of yarn. Once I test the pattern a bit I'll post it here on the blog.
Pattern: my own little creation
Elann Norwegian Sport Wool 50g/150m (164 yards) 100% superwash wool in orange, held tripled throughout, purchased from a clearance basket at Rhinebeck 2009 (Ravelry stash page), approximately 187 yards
Cascade 220 Superwash 100g/220yards 100% superwash wool in color 885 deep blue, held doubled throughout (Ravelry stash page), approximately 72.6 yards
Hook: 5.0mm/H Susan Bates hook